31. -----Nancy is not coming tonight.
----- But she _____!
C. will promise
D. had promised
32. We've made some achievements, but there is still a long way _____.
B. to go
D. to be gone
33. Dr. Bethune began to work the _____ he arrived at the front.
34. ----- This pen isn't yours, is it?
A. Yes, it's not mine
B. No, yours is bigger
C. No, it's my friend's
D. Yes, mine's a red one
35. ----- Thanks for the_____ you did me to move away the stone.
----- That's all right.
36. She won't be afraid as _____ as you are here.
37. It isn't quite _____whether she will take the advice.
38. Shirley _____a book about China last year but I don't know whether she has finished it.
A. has written
C. had written
D. was writing
39. _____the children to bed, she began to correct the students' exercises.
B. Being sent
D. Having sent
40. Nobody noticed the thief slip into the house because the lights happened to _____.
A. be put up
B. give in
C. be turned on
D. go out